GAFTA Distance Learning Programme, 2016
Anglia Ruskin University (Cambridge, UK), 2013, Diploma magna cum laude
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, 2012
Dmytro Koval specializes in international commercial law and international commercial arbitration. He possesses experience in arbitration proceedings under GAFTA, FOSFA and LMAA arbitration rules.
Dmytro provides comprehensive legal advice on various issues of international and Ukrainian law, including in the fields of trade and maritime shipment; he draws up and review contracts of various levels of complexity.
Dmytro also specializes in sports law and international sports arbitration. He provides advice on sports law to athletes, clubs, federations, and specializes in dispute resolution, including the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) (Lausanne, Switzerland).
Dmytro is the coordinator of the pro bono project "Legal Aid to Sports in Ukraine", which aims to maintain and develop sports in Ukraine by providing free legal aid.
Dmytro is also a co-author of Private Client 2015 and 2016 editions, supported by Getting the Deal Through British publication series. He has several published articles on various legal issues in the leading Ukrainian legal and business publications.
Membership in professional associations
Ukrainian Bar Association (UBA), (Member of the Board Committee on Sports Law)
Ukrainian National Bar Association (UNBA)
International Arbitration Group at London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA YIAG)
Young Arbitrators Forum of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC YAF)
Awards and Recognition
- Leading lawyer in Ukraine for Sports law - Client’s choice. Top 100 best lawyers of Ukraine 2019-2020, Yurydychna Gazeta
Fluent Ukrainian, Russian, and English
- Representing interests of a large agri trader from Lithuania in a dispute with a Swiss trading company in London arbitration which arose under USD1,2 million contract for the supply of Ukrainian sunflower meal.
- Representing interests of a large agri trading company in a dispute with a major Turkish oil manufacturer in London arbitration, which arose under USD2 million contract for the supply of sunflower seeds to Turkey.
- Representing interests of the Client, a major agricultural company, in a dispute with a Swiss company in London arbitration. The dispute arose over unpaid goods worth USD300 thousand delivered under the sale contract.
- Representing client’s interests together with the partners of the Georgian law firm BLC Law Office by successfully enforcing the award of London commercial arbitration in Georgia, the region of Guria. The Supreme Court of Georgia satisfied the application for the recognition and enforcement of the award. AGA Partners recovered the full amount of the damages awarded to the client.
- Representing interests of a Scottish trading company in a dispute with a manufacturing company from Egypt which arose based on a contract for the supply of wheat on the basis CIF amounting to a total of USD2.5 mln.
- Representing interests of a Dubai trading company in a dispute with a Kazakhstan company which arose based on a contract for the supply of barley on the basis of the FOB ("Free On Board") amounting to a total value of almost USD2 million.
- Representing interests of an English trading company in a dispute with a Georgian manufacturing company resolved in arbitration which arose based on a contract for the supply of flour to the port of Batumi, Georgia amounting to a total of over USD700,000.
- Representing interests of a Ukrainian state-owned company in a dispute with a Swiss company in arbitration. The dispute arose based on USD2 million contracts for the supply of commodities.
- Representation of the honored coach of Ukraine in dispute with Ministry of Youth and Sports over the awarding of the sport's title "Honored Coach of Ukraine" to her.